Sunday 8 December 2019

Oh No, Not Another Mini Break

I'm sure that's exactly what Ian thought as we approached the latest, and last for this year, of our mini breaks - Vienna.  Originally designed to keep my spirits up whilst we couldn't travel outside of Europe, as always I rather over did the number of trips and this will be our 7th this year and our 3rd in the last 6 weeks.  And now with clearance to travel, we have rather grander plans to make for next year and to a certain extent this little trip is getting in the way of us finalising those!

With road closures still prevalent we were staying once again at the Mercure near Heathrow as we had an early flight.  I booked this room early September, at the same time as the last one, but when we checked-in we were told we hadn't paid - despite me having received an email receipting the total amount paid in advance and confirming nothing to pay at the hotel.  They told us they'd had trouble with their IT systems a while back and that in fact neither of the rooms had been paid for in advance but if we'd like to go to our room, they would investigate and let us know further.  About half an hour later the phone rang and it was the manager confirming we definitely had not paid. So we went back to reception and I asked to be given access to a secure wifi so I could check my credit card statement for September.  In fact he let me use their computer which was on a VPN and sure enough nothing went through in September but we were only charged in November for our 4/11 night.  The manager had excellent customer services skills and the whole matter was easily sorted but it has served as a reminder for me to check my statements a bit more thoroughly.

Up once again at silly o'clock we knew our way to Purple Parking and found them extremely efficient once again.  We were soon enjoying the bacon butties and bucks fizz in the BA Lounge.

We had the emergency exit rows again, Ian the aisle and me a window seat in case the grey cloud afforded even a momentary glimpse of Vienna as we landed.  We had hoped that the middle seat would remain empty as previously, but unfortunately the last two passengers to board were a seemingly elderly and certainly doddery couple and the woman plonked herself down between us, surrounding herself with all her belongings.   Before she got too comfortable I explained that she'd have to stow everything in view of the emergency exit and also be willing and ABLE to assist in an emergency - I rather hoped she'd say she couldn't and therefore get moved but she simply said she supposed she'd work it out if necessary.  Unfortunately I then got to hear all her trials and tribulations from the past 24 hours until I feigned sleep.